Just south of the Nature Gardens, surrounded by the old neighborhoods of south Tel Aviv, is Ha’churshot Park, which serves as a green lung for the area, as well an open area for the residents of the surrounding neighborhoods to identify and connect with the history of what used to be a vast agricultural land, where the famous JAFFA golden oranges were first cultivated, before they became a commodity in Europe and a symbol of success and plenty.
To the north of the park lie the nature gardens (the Zoological and Botanical gardens) which were established in the early 1950’s as a basis for academic studies and nature education in municipal schools.
Further north, is the remnant of a Jewish cemetery from the days of the Mishna and Talmud (some claim to be second to Beit Shearim).
The agricultural farmlands were increasingly expanding during the 18th century Due to discovery of a shallow aquifer which could supply enough irrigation water to the lands that were further east, and during the 19th century after the integration of steam engines into motorized farming machinery, until the 1940’, when rapid urban development of the urban area eventually changed the nature of the area to the extent that most of the farmlands became the southern neighborhoods of Tel Aviv; the same neighborhoods that today surround the park.
Thus, the architectural design of the park is based on a reconstruction of the orchards, gardens, well houses and trees groves, planted here during the 1960s, consisting of Pines, Oakes, Nettles, Terebinth, and Jujubes.
The park is crisscrossed with walkways and bicycle paths, connecting the different sub-areas, which consist of playgrounds, squares, a theater, community gardens, and flowerbeds.
On the border between the park and the Botanical Garden, is a big water pond (will later be named “Teva-Ironi” or ‘Urban Nature’), decorated with various water plants, which attract different birds.
Emphasis was put on maintaining the trees groves planted here during the 1960s, which include pine, oak, mash, Pistacia, And Ziziphus.
Adjacent to the park is the mesmerizing Russian – Orthodox church complex.